Saturday, June 16, 2007

Weekend on the South Coast

Hi all...so we are going to the rural rotation next week and we will be staying with host families there because as far as we know the strike is essentially over. Woo hoo. However, I will not have access to email for all of next week--until Friday--but I will hand-write blog entries and then type them in as soon as I get back to email the following week.

On another note, this weekend 11 of us hired/rented cars and drove to Port Shepstone (about an hour drive south of Durban). We are staying at a gorgeous hostile, called The Spot Backpackers in a cabin with 12 bunk beds. It is gorgeous and the staff here are amazing. We went to Oribi Gorge yesterday and hiked and then I went bungee jumping (spelling?) off of the gorge--a 100 meter free-fall and the largest "swing" (because it was more of a swing than an actual bungee cord) in the world. It was incredible. I will never do something like that again but it is great to say I did and I have some incredible photos and a certificate as proof of what I did.

Today we went to the beach and hung out. The area we are staying in is very affluent and sometimes looks just like America. I have said this before but I will say it again--the dichotomy of the first and third world and their close proximity in South Africa never fails to amaze me.

Tonight we are going to a French restaurant in Ramsgate, which is one of the top ten restaurants in South Africa. Should be amazing.

There is only one computer here so I am going to get going....Happy early Father's Day to my Dad and John and all of the other fathers! I miss you all dearly and I can't wait to tell you about my experience in the rural rotation. From what the other students who did it last week have said, it should be incredible.

Love to all of you.

No comments: