Friday, June 8, 2007

Stirke is on but enjoying the city

Sorry I didn't get to blog yesterday. We went to clinic and got to work for about 10 minutes and then the doctors had a meeting and determined that the clinic could possibly be the next target for striking workers. They advised us to leave and not to come in on Friday. So we went to a mall and met with our medical director and talked about health care in South Africa. Shola informed us that next week 10 students will go to St.Mary's, 5 will go back to the clinic and 5 will work with Hospice Chatsworth. I opted for Hospice Chatsworth because that is the organization that goes to AIDS patients homes to check in on their health care needs. I think this will be very interesting and hopefully unaffected by the strike.

Today Regina, Arthur and I checked into a small hotel on Florida Road which has a lot of restaurants and bars and is centrally located. Definitely not a part of the "real South Africa" but it is nice to escape the suburbs for awhile and feel safe to walk around at night.

Today we visited the Botanical Gardens which were absolutely beautiful. It is about 70 degrees here and sunny. What a "winter" they have here. We are just going to walk around some more today and then go to a steakhouse and a club. What fun.

At the Botanical Gardens we got to lay in the sun and I think it was the first time I relaxed this entire trip.

The good news is, we only missed out on two days of clinic and if anything good can be said about the situation, it's that we learned more about the culture here.

The internet cafe I am in right now is insanely expensive so I'm going to sign off.

Love to all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lex,

I am sorry to hear that the strike is still going on, but happy that they are smart enough to pull all of you out when they feel it is unsafe.

I know you will always make the best out of any situation and make it into a positive learning situation.

Love and miss you bunches,
Mom
PS - Any chance of downloading some photos?

chantalobue said...

Hi Alexis
I am a friend of your mother and met you in the past. I enjoyed reading your blog and think it is wonderful about your work and experiences. I will continue to read your blog. Thank you for taking the time to write it.
Chantal Lobue