Friday, May 30, 2008

First Day in Delhi

My first day in Delhi was amazing. The owner of Sai Villa, Ashutosh had a taxi hired for me for the entire day and made an itinerary of places for me to go. I went to Qutb Minar complex where the oldest Mosque in Delhi is (built in AD 1197). It was very hot out, especially in the sun and especially when you are wearing a polo shirt, long khakis and sneakers. It is custom here for women, particularly of a higher class, to be dressed conservatively. Plus, I kinda already stand out enough as it is. Next stop was Dilli Haat, a crafts market with goods made from all over India. There was so much to see, I will definitely be back at the end of my trip so I can get some gifts for everyone. Then I went to another crafts market, by the choice of my taxi driver Aktash, called Punjab. This was much more upscale and had some gorgeous rugs and furniture. Don't worry, I promise not to bring an elephant shaped bed back :-)

Our next stop was Humayun Tomb, which was the precursor of the Taj Mahal and (from what I have seen in photos) resembles the Taj. Then we went to the Defense Colony Market where I got lunch at Sagar Southern India. I ate Veg. Masala Dosa. Dosa is a rice pancake and masala is potatoes--I ate it all with my hands (don't worry they were clean) and it tasted so much better than with a fork! Next we went to Lotus Temple, which literally looks like a Lotus flower (I tried to upload my pics but the internet is so slow here that it wouldn't work..I promise to try to find a cafe soon so I can get some pictures posted!). It was very crowded because it is a Temple and there are hourly prayer services. Since it was my first day and I don't know much about the customs, I decided not to try to go in and make a fool of myself. I was pretty exhausted at this point so I went back to Sai Villa to rest for a bit.

Then Aktash and I were off again to Tughluqabad Fort, which was built in only four years (slightly more impressive when you can actually see what it looks like). At its highest point, it stands 15 meters. It had an underground shopping mall--in 1325! Our last stop was the Lodi Gardens where I walked around the entire perimeter (about 30 minute walk). There were tons of people walking, running, etc.--it looked like the Indian version of Central Park...kind of.
We got stuck in horrible traffic on the way back and at one point were really stuck near a Sikh temple that was having services. I actually got pretty scared because of the recent bombings in Jaipur and all of the warnings from locals to stay away from crowds and avoid Jaipur, Dehli and Agra (which make up the "triangle). Needless to say, I was fine, but I may not get to see the Taj if the situation does not improve.

I have to get going but I will write more later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Alexis,
I wanted to share with you that it was very interesting for me that you visited the Lotus Temple. I'm not sure if the taxi driver explained it to you, but this is a Baha'i temple (and I hope you remember that I am a Baha'i!) I have seen many many photos of this temple and know that it is very beautiful.