Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Third Day at St.Mary's

Thank you all so much for your emails. I will try to get back to you in more detail as soon as I can. It is quite expensive for me to use the Internet cafe and it is very busy here but I am hoping to download some pictures after the wedding this weekend.

Today I was in the Casualty Unit and I saw A LOT. A ton of Tuberculosis patients. After the lunch hour was more exciting though. We saw a woman who was DOA (dead on arrival)--she had seized in the waiting area and then showed no signs of life. Then we had a woman with lactic acidosis, which typically occurs in HIV patients on ARV (anti-retroviral therapy). The doctor tried to put in a central line several times but without success so they transferred her but it was definitely a site to see. Britney and I were with a 5th year medical student from Capetown, Matthew, who is 22 and will be a doctor next year!!!! They start medical school at 16 in South Africa. I got to see him do a lumbar puncture to get some CSF to see if the patient had meningitis. It was pretty amazing. We also saw a woman who had a stroke. We saw so many patients it was incredible. Thank goodness for my Palm.

I got to see the doctor I worked with during my first day in OBGYN and he said that what I saw at the clinic yesterday was an experience that will help me during the entirety of my medical career. Woo hoo. That made me feel better since the image I had of her was definitely haunting.

Tomorrow I will be at St.Mary's again and tonight and tomorrow night we are going out to eat. It is very difficult to eat the food the family feeds me so I am trying to eat out or not offend them by making my own food as much as possible. Good news is a typical meal is $5 at a nice restaurant!

I turn 24 on Sunday which is exciting, everyone says when I get back from the wedding we will celebrate.

In a few weeks we will be leaving for our rural rotation where we will be living in huts with no running water or electricity so I am getting mentally prepared for that.

I miss all of you dearly and think of you every day. I feel so blessed to be seeing these patients. I know it will make me an amazing practitioner some day.

3 comments:

debra bogaards said...

dear alexis:

What a joy to read your blog, and adventures, including a baby's birth, your 24th bday in Africa, and going to a Zulu wedding. Amazing!

Your mom, John and I are loyally going to Fred's spin class, where your mom proudly gave an update of your trip.

Miss you!

Love,

Debra

Cat Rhodes said...

Hi My Precious!

This is all so exciting! These experiences will be woven into the fabric of your medical career. What a priviledge for you to be able to help these people. I am so proud of you!
Love,
Cattie, Jeff and Samantha

Unknown said...

My Dearest Alexis,

It was so nice to hear all of the excitement in your voice today, when you told me about your day in pediatrics.

Everyone here is always asking about you and wanting to know more and more about your experience.

The clinic wants a presentation (with pictures) when you come back. Ruthie Gibbs and Ameilia have both said that now they want to go through your program after me telling them all of your stories!

Johnna and I couldn't be prouder.

Love you bunches,
Mom