Monday, May 28, 2007

First Day of Rotations

Hi all, first of all let me say I am not getting enough emails from everyone or comments so send at will.

Today was my first day at my clinical rotations and I was working at St. Mary's hospital, assigned to the OB/GYN ward. I didn't sleep at all last night which made today especially difficult.

That said it was an amazing day. The doctor Raj (a fellow student and I) were assigned to was VERY informative and was constantly testing our knowledge. I saw women of all ages pregnant or post-delivery, many of whom were HIV positive and were already plagued with many opportunistic infections. It is eye-opening to work in this ward, which would normally be a place filled with such hope, but is somewhat depressing considering the high probability of the babies being born with HIV/AIDS. I got to see a baby immediately after it had been delivered and got to put an oxygen tube in its nose.

Tomorrow we will be returning to St.Mary's with a different rotation. I can't believe how much I got to see today. Probably more than I have ever scene during my entire time working in the medical field. It's incredible.

I am going to try to load pictures as soon as I can. Love to all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your mom told me that you helped deliver a baby on your first day!! That's amazing... you are amazing and I hope you are feeling a little more at home. We all miss you.