Friday, July 6, 2007

Zambian Safari

Just a quick update...a lot has been going on the past few days....

Coley and I decided to go on another bicycle tour with Cowboy Cliff on Wednesday morning. On our way to the village where his "Local Cowboy" school is located a family of elephants crossed our path. We were a few hundred feet away and able to take a lot of photos. That is until the mama elephant saw us and started to walk towards us. Cowboy Cliff told us, "Get on your bikes now!!" What a rush.

Cowboy Cliff's school is absolutely amazing. Especially considering it all started when one man in Zambia with one bike decided to start his own business. I told him I would write to Oprah to tell her his story and I definitely plan to.

Nemanja (my friend who I met in college in London) came to meet Coley, Regina and myself at our lodge in Livingstone Wednesday and we had dinner at the Royal Livingstone. The next morning we went to Botswana where we were supposed to have a guide-lead tour of Chobe National Park/Game Reserve, however in true African style our reservation did not exist. Nemanja took it in stride and decided to be our guide and drive his SUV around the park. This was wonderful until we got stuck in the sand...not a good place to get stuck based on the number of wild animals living in the area. A nice family got us out and we were on our way.

We saw giraffes, a lioness, buffalo's, crocodiles, hippos, impalas and so many elephants, many of them were within 100 feet away from our car. It was amazing.

Then about one hour after we got stuck in the sand we discovered we had a flat tire and needed to repair it--again in the middle of the bush/where the wild animals live. It was all okay in the end and quite the real life safari.

Then we went to the Royal Livingstone for the sunset where we were only a few feet away from wild zebras. One of them got very close to kicking me...Coley has the photographic evidence.

Today we drove to Lusaka where Nemanja and his family live and we are staying at his house. It is the perfect end to an amazing journey in Africa.

Thank you all for supporting me along the way.

Love to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.